Last saturday I went for shopping to get some veggies, there I picked up 6 lemon for a dollar. As we all know lemon is a rich source of vitamin c. I picked up lemon to make some lemon rice which my husband loves to have with fried potatoes.
- Lemon – 2
- Basmathi rice – 1 cup
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 2-3 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp(finely chopped)
- Cashewnuts – 6nos.
- Ground nuts - ¼ cup
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6nos.
- Green chillies – 3(cut open vertically)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Boil basmati rice and keep them aside in a big bowl/vessel.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan add mustard seeds and wait till they crackle then add ural dal, channa dal, cashewnuts, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and ground nuts one by one.
- Saute them until they get the golden brown color.
- Now add turmeric powder and little amount of salt as there would salt which you have already added to rice while boiling them.
- Tranfer the sauteed mixture from non-stick pan to the vessel containing boiled rice.
- Squeeze 2 lemons in to the rice and now mix them uniformly until the rice gets the yellow color of the turmeric from the mixture and also the tangy flavor from squeezed lemon.
- Serve them hot with fried potatoes!!!
1. Always squeeze the lemon to the rice directly and not to the sauteed mixture as the essence of the lemon is lost while they are being cooked.