Weekends are meant to do things leisurely, hence I used to start my cooking late on weekends. Here is a quick recipe for your weekend breakfast. Ven pongal is a favorite dish for most vegetarians. It takes just 15-20 minutes to prepare them. Here goes the preparation.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Moong dal – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – 4 tsp
- Pepper – 4 tsp(whole pepper and not ground one)
- Cashew nuts – 7nos.
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 5-6(to garnish)
- Salt – to taste
- Add rice and moong dal along with 3 cups of water and pressure cook them till you get 6 whistles.
- Now open the cooker and see whether they are mashed completely.
- Take a non-stick frying pan and add about 1 tbsp of ghee.
- To the heated ghee add cumin seeds, pepper, cashewnuts and fry them till they turn golden brown in color.
- Now transfer the sauteed mixture to the mashed rice and moong dal also add salt according to your taste.
- Stir them uniformly and then add remaining 2 tbsp of ghee for extra flavor and taste.
- Garnish them with curry leaves.
- Serve them hot with chutney and sambar.